SOCIAL LEADERSHIP ACADEMY
WE’RE LOOKING FOR WORLD-CHANGERS.
APPLY TO BECOME A M121 FELLOW.
Applications are NO LONGER BEING ACCEPTED for our 2013 class of Fellows. Stay tuned for updates for the 2014 Class.
THE QUICK SUMMARY
1. WHO: We’re looking for people who want to change the world, and want to humbly learn how best to do so in a sustainable way – personally and strategically. Selected individuals will become Fellows in our 2013 class starting the first week in February. We’re looking for passionate, thankful, energetic people to be contributors in a like-minded community of emerging world-changers, who wish to discover and utilize your real strengths, and learn how to best make a sustainable impact.
Too many people who want to change the world don’t! Life gets in the way, and they never get started. Or they do get going but inevitably burn out from how little change they actually impacted, or they were in a role that doesn’t fit.
We are looking for people who display the following characteristics:
- Passionate and moved to help others.
- Persistently thankful for their life and a chance to impact their world.
- Humble, realizing how much any of us has to learn from each other, yet confident, knowing you’ve got something great to offer others, too.
- (Optional but desired) Have skills and interests in any one of the following areas: graphic design, social media savviness, helping kids, fashion design, project management, team leadership, trendsetting, writing, video production, problem-solving, influencing others, and research.
2. WHAT: Fellows will discover and utilize your unique personal strengths, learn about sustainable ways to change the world, be an integral part of M121 business planning and brainstorming, learn about eradicating poverty, and become a valued member of a team focused on building a social enterprise. You will participate on a weekly live call and will engage in interactions with other fellows, coaches and thought leaders throughout the program. The entire program will occur virtually – online and phone. There is no need for travel. Expect to spend 10 hours a month to get the most out of the program. Your only required investment will be approximately $25.00 for the purchase of a strength finders assessment so that you can be placed on a well-balanced, effective team.
3. WHEN: Applications due December 30, 2012, though priority consideration will be given to applications submitted by Dec 1. Fellows announced January 15, 2013. Fellowship Program will occur between February 1, 2013 and July 30, 2013.
4. WHY: The world is in desperate need of world-changers and social entrepreneurs that know how world change actually happens, and do work (professional and volunteer) that actually works. Not just “feel good” work, but “real good.”
5. WHERE: The program is virtual, so you can participate anywhere you are. You just need a computer, a camera/phone, internet connection, and a facebook account.
HOW THE PROGRAM WORKS
The fellowship lasts for 6 months, starting February 1, 2013. Through the fellowship curriculum, Fellows will primarily be responsible to learn about themselves, the arena of sustainable world change, and how they can best impact the world. Then Fellows will be asked to share what you’ve learned and interact online with other fellows to sharpen your ideas and broaden your vision. College students may be eligible to receive college credit at the completion of the fellowship.
Based on your strength area, you may also be able to contribute in different ways. Some of the possible roles include: social media champion, marketing maniac, compassionista, video artist, and other things you’ll discover.
Fellows will be expected to do 3 things well:
- LEARN & SHARE | You’ll experience our hand-crafted program for emerging world-changers – a mix of working through individual exercises, digesting hand-selected resources and coaching tools, and interacting with fellows emerging world-changers. The program curriculum includes material from books such as Go Discover Your Strengths, Social Innovation, Inc., and When Helping Hurts. You’ll have guided personal assignments that will help you discover your real strengths. You’ll think through what “impact” really is and how to make it more lasting and sustainable. You’ll interact online with the community of M121 fellows – trading insights, feedback, and perspectives on each of your learning experiences and assignments. World-changers have to be equipped with the right models about what really works, enough self-awareness to know what really makes you tick, and encouragement from people like you along the way. No question – this will be hard work, but it will be worth your while.
- IDEATE | You’ll be asked to provide collaborative and comprehensive perspective, feedback, and ideas on a variety of topics that will arise in the 6-month time period. These will be actual issues and questions as you prepare to launch your own social enterprise.
Baked into all of the above, all of what we do is to serve. We will our best at sharing, learning, ideating, and leading when we take on the attitude of someone who is serving others.
The fellowship is an unpaid opportunity designed to help you discover your strengths, get marketable skills, experience unique learnings, build community with like-hearted individuals, and obtain unparalleled access to the forefront of a world-changing movement. Be prepared to spend 10 hours per month to adequately meet the requirements of the Fellowship and to garner the most benefit out of the program. All fellows are expected to stay engaged for the full 6-month term. Please also read other terms and conditions.[divider_line]
The application form is online and consists of a few short essay questions as well as the submission of a recent photo of yourself.
Key deadlines are as follows:
- Applications will be accepted until December 30, 2012
- Fellows announced on a rolling basis, with the final fellows decided upon on January 15, 2013. Early applications are encouraged.
- Program begins February 1, 2013 and ends July 31, 2013
Any questions, please email us at email@example.com. Don’t forget to follow us on Facebook.